Posts for tag: Cavities
How can you protect your teeth from cavities? Dr. Todd Yoshino, your dentist in Federal Way, WA, helps his patients avoid this destructive oral health disease. Here are some strategies which can improve your oral health and give you a vibrant, durable smile that lasts.
Cavities are all too common
Unfortunately, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that most American adults have tooth decay to one extent or another. Cavities impact children and teens as well, causing pain and leading to tooth loss.
At Dr. Yoshino's office in Federal Way, your dentist and his team believe that your oral care routine at home, combined with their preventive services, can keep tooth enamel healthy. Yes, you can reduce your chances of developing cavities, gum disease, tooth loss, and more.
Smile protection tips
1. Brush your teeth at least two times a day for two minutes. The American Dental Association (ADA), recommends fluoride toothpaste and a toothbrush with soft bristles and a head appropriately sized to your mouth. Gently brush all tooth surfaces, as well as your tongue, roof of your mouth, and gums. Brushing removes a significant amount of plaque and its associated bacteria and acids.
2. Floss daily with strand floss, interproximal brushes, or a water-flossing device. Flossing removes plaque at the gum line and between teeth where your toothbrush is ineffective.
3. Eat a high-fiber, low-sugar diet, and drink water during the day to increase saliva and rinse teeth and gums.
4. See your dentist at his Federal Way office for a comprehensive dental exam and hygienic cleaning every six months. Dr. Yoshino checks for decay, gum disease, oral cancer, and problems with dental bite and restorations already present. He'll assess your risk for developing decay and recommend ways that will help you avoid it.
5. Take advantage of in-office fluoride treatments and plastic sealants (painted-on coatings) which strengthen and protect teeth from the ravages of decay. Both are cost-sparing, painless, and quick.
You can fight against tooth decay and win. Enlist the help of your friendly dental team in Federal Way, WA. Call Dr. Todd Yoshino for your routine cleaning and check-up today: ( 253) 815-0441.
Dealing with a cavity? A dental filling can help rebuild your damaged tooth.
Cavities happen and it’s important that you are visiting our Federal Way, WA, dentist Dr. Todd Yoshino twice a year for routine checkups so that we can catch these issues early on when they are much easier to treat. In fact, most people will experience dental decay at some point and the sooner we detect it the better. So, if we discovered a cavity during your last checkup, take a deep breath and then read further to understand how we will get your damaged smile back into shape.
How do cavities happen?
We all have bacteria in our mouths, which when combined with sugars and starches form a biofilm known as plaque that appears on the surface of the teeth and along the gumline. Along with forming plaque, the bacteria also turn the sugar or starch into acid. The acid within the plaque continues to wear away at tooth enamel until you brush and floss the plaque away. If you eat too much sugar or starches, or you don’t maintain good oral hygiene, you leave yourself at a very high risk for developing cavities.
Is a dental filling necessary?
If you have a cavity our Federal Way, WA, general dentist will need to fill the tooth in order to restore it. Not placing a filling would only leave the tooth weak and vulnerable. Once we have removed the decayed areas of the tooth we will then place this tooth-colored material, in layers, to rebuild and restrengthen the tooth.
Will you be able to see my dental filling?
Most dental fillings are made from composite resin, which resembles the look and color of tooth enamel. This means that once the filling has been applied, shaped and hardened to the tooth no one will even be able to tell that you have a dental filling. The material is even matched to the color of the tooth before it’s applied to make sure it blends in.
Do you have questions about getting a dental filling? Do you need to schedule your routine dental checkup in Federal Way, WA? If so, don’t hesitate to call our office today and schedule your next visit with us. We are also happy to answer any questions you might have about getting dental fillings or other dental treatments.