Posts for tag: Protecting Teeth
How can you protect your teeth from cavities? Dr. Todd Yoshino, your dentist in Federal Way, WA, helps his patients avoid this destructive oral health disease. Here are some strategies which can improve your oral health and give you a vibrant, durable smile that lasts.
Cavities are all too common
Unfortunately, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that most American adults have tooth decay to one extent or another. Cavities impact children and teens as well, causing pain and leading to tooth loss.
At Dr. Yoshino's office in Federal Way, your dentist and his team believe that your oral care routine at home, combined with their preventive services, can keep tooth enamel healthy. Yes, you can reduce your chances of developing cavities, gum disease, tooth loss, and more.
Smile protection tips
1. Brush your teeth at least two times a day for two minutes. The American Dental Association (ADA), recommends fluoride toothpaste and a toothbrush with soft bristles and a head appropriately sized to your mouth. Gently brush all tooth surfaces, as well as your tongue, roof of your mouth, and gums. Brushing removes a significant amount of plaque and its associated bacteria and acids.
2. Floss daily with strand floss, interproximal brushes, or a water-flossing device. Flossing removes plaque at the gum line and between teeth where your toothbrush is ineffective.
3. Eat a high-fiber, low-sugar diet, and drink water during the day to increase saliva and rinse teeth and gums.
4. See your dentist at his Federal Way office for a comprehensive dental exam and hygienic cleaning every six months. Dr. Yoshino checks for decay, gum disease, oral cancer, and problems with dental bite and restorations already present. He'll assess your risk for developing decay and recommend ways that will help you avoid it.
5. Take advantage of in-office fluoride treatments and plastic sealants (painted-on coatings) which strengthen and protect teeth from the ravages of decay. Both are cost-sparing, painless, and quick.
You can fight against tooth decay and win. Enlist the help of your friendly dental team in Federal Way, WA. Call Dr. Todd Yoshino for your routine cleaning and check-up today: ( 253) 815-0441.