Posts for tag: dental crowns
Is your smile less than perfect? Dental crowns offered by your Federal Way, WA, dentist, Dr. Todd Yoshino, can improve the function and appearance of your teeth—read on to learn more.
What are dental crowns?
Dental crowns are hollow restorations designed to slip over the top parts of your teeth. Before you receive a crown, your dentist must file your tooth to reduce its size. This step ensures a comfortable fit for your restoration.
Crowns are made of a variety of materials tough enough to stand up to years of wear-and-tear, including porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, ceramic, and resin. The restorations are attached with dental cement and become a permanent part of your smile.
How can a dental crown improve my smile?
Dental crowns offer several important smile benefits for Federal Way residents, including:
- Protection for Fragile Teeth: Weak or cracked teeth are at increased risk of fracture. Fractures can happen without warning one day when you take a bite of an apple or chew a piece of pizza. Crowns strengthen fragile teeth and absorb the biting forces generated when you chew.
- Restoration of Damaged Teeth: Broken teeth are not only unsightly but also make it difficult to chew and bite. Depending on where the break occurs, the teeth can also be quite painful if the broken ends are exposed to the air. Crowns end your pain and restore the normal appearance of damaged teeth. In fact, no one will ever know that you once had a broken tooth.
- Enhanced Appearance: Crowns can completely change the appearance of unattractive teeth, making them a good choice if you have a crooked or oddly shaped tooth or want to conceal discolorations.
- Replacement of Missing Teeth: Crowns are used in dental implants and bridges to fill gaps in your smile caused by missing teeth. In dental implants, crowns are attached to synthetic posts that serve as artificial tooth roots. Crowns are also attached to one or two artificial teeth to anchor a bridge in place.
Make over your smile with dental crowns. Contact your dentist in Federal Way, WA, Dr. Yoshino, at (253) 815-0441 to schedule an appointment.
Many factors cause dental damage. Extensive decay, oral trauma, multiple fillings, infection and even congenital factors may leave teeth weak and discolored. However, today's restorative dental procedures save many failing teeth. One of the most common and effective is the dental crown. Placed by Federal Way, WA dentist, Dr. Todd Yoshino, dental crowns make weak teeth strong, beautiful and functional again. Read about them here.
How crowns work
Dental crowns are tooth-shaped restorations which cover and protect failing or misshapen teeth. Customized for the unique needs of the patient according to oral impressions, a crown is fabricated from:
- Porcelain fused to metal (PFM)
- Composite resin (the same material used in tooth-colored fillings)
Today's material of choice usually is porcelain because of its natural appearance, durability, and suitability in most locations in the mouth. If you need a crown, your Federal Way dentist will help you decide which material would work best.
Getting a crown
Dr. Yoshino takes oral impressions and devises a treatment plan for the dental lab to follow. Also, he prepares the tooth by removing enamel, shaping the remaining healthy portion to receive the restoration. Some teeth require posts or other augmentation so they are sufficiently strong and stable. Additionally, most patients wear temporary caps while their permanent restorations are crafted.
To place the permanent crown, Dr. Yoshino removes the temporary and uses a special adhesive to bond the new one securely over the natural tooth structure. He makes sure the fit is right and that the restored tooth bites together properly with the opposite arch.
Keeping a crown
The lifespan of a dental crown varies, with wear and tear as a big determining factor. Crowns can last about ten years or even more, but wearers must be careful to:
- Floss daily and brush twice a day to keep the area around the crown as clean as possible
- Avoid hard foods and non-food items (don't open bottles or packages with your teeth)
- Wear a bite guard at night if you habitually grind or clench your teeth
These rules apply to all crowns, including those used to restore dental implants or to support fixed bridgework.
Enjoy a complete, beautiful and durable smile. You can with dental crowns from your Federal Way, WA dentist, Dr. Yoshino. Phone his office today to arrange your personal consultation and get all your questions answered. Call (253) 815-0441.
Learn more about cosmetic dentistry from your Federal Way dentist.
There's no reason to put up with a smile you don't like. Thanks to cosmetic dentistry treatments, you can easily correct flaws and restore damaged teeth. Dr. Todd Yoshino, your Federal Way, WA cosmetic dentist, shares some information on a few treatments that may interest you.
Porcelain veneers may be thin, but they offer a very effective way to change the appearance of your teeth. The shells are no thicker than a fingernail and are attached to the front surfaces of teeth. Whether you're concerned about chips, gaps or stains, want to make a crooked tooth look straight or want a long-lasting tooth whitening option, veneers are a good choice.
You're never too old to benefit from braces, but you may not want to live with a mouthful of metal for a year or two. When you choose the Invisalign brace system, you can forget about the metal. The system uses a series of clear, removable aligner trays to straighten your teeth. The trays are replaced every two weeks and are removed when you eat.
Teeth whitening offers an instant boost to your self-esteem. In-office whitening only takes about one hour and can lighten your teeth three to eight shades. Take-home kits are also available if you prefer. They offer the same results, although you'll need to use these kits for a few weeks.
Composite resin bonding is used to repair damage, lengthen teeth, close gaps, correct flaws or even change the shape of your teeth. The soft material can be manipulated into any shape, making it the ideal choice for many cosmetic issues. Once it's hardened with a special curing light, it bonds to your enamel.
Crowns and bridges
Crowns provide a protective covering for damaged teeth and also improve the appearance of teeth. These dental restorations slip over your teeth, providing protection on all four sides. When crowns are attached to artificial teeth, they form a bridge that replaces missing teeth.
Bridges aren't the only tooth replacement option. If you prefer a more permanent solution, you'll want to consider dental implants. Implants bond to your jawbone and replace tooth roots.
Improve your smile with cosmetic dentistry! Call Dr. Yoshino, your Federal Way, WA dentist, at (253) 815-0441 to schedule your appointment.